How to Roast the Perfect Leg of Lamb
- 1.7-2.2 kg Leg of lamb or shoulder roast, bone in
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Garlic, heads
- 2 Onion, large
- 3 cups Liquid beef stock,
- 2 cups Water
- Preheat oven to 165C. Slice whole garlic heads in half horizontally and onion in quarters. Arrange in the bottom of a large roasting dish.
- Place the lamb on top of the vegetables.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the meat and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour the stock and water into the dish. It won’t be completely submerged but it’s ok.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and roast 4.5-5 hours.
- Check doneness by seeing if the lamb falls off the bone and shreds when levered gently with a fork.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and spoon sauces over the meat and allow to rest for 20 minutes
- Carve and serve as desired