Sesame Ginger Beef and Scalloped Potato Bake with Herby Crema
- 1.5-2 cups beef mince mixture (I just used what I had left at the end of the week - about a cup and a half)
- 1 half thumb ginger, finely grated or diced
- 1/2 cup diced frozen capsicum
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
- 1 cups grated cheese
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- handful chives, basil, parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Slice the potato thinly with a sharp knife or mandoline and place in a large bowl of cold water. Sit 5 minutes then rinse.
- In a large saucepan, heat the sesame oil over a low heat. When it is shimmering, add the grated ginger and garlic and swirl a few times. Cook 1-2 minutes ensuring it doesn’t burn. Stir in the mince mixture, crushed tomatoes, soy sauce and ⅓ cup water.
- Cook until reduced slightly. It should be thick and saucy.
- Layer the mince mixture in a large oven dish, Place the potato layer on top, overlapping the edges. Cover with tin foil.
- Bake 20 minutes then remove from the oven. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and return, uncovered to the oven for 25 minutes.
- The bake is ready once the potatoes are fork-tender.
- To make the herby crema: mix together the sour cream, finely chopped herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Serve the potato bake with a dollop of the crema and a smattering of extra herbs and sesame seeds.